Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bryan loves playing drums and listening to music

This is a photo of Bryan taken at the beach over the summer.
He has grown and developed so much since he was diagnosed with autism at age 3. I must admit that his initial diagnosis was devastating. It felt like a death in many ways. Over the years his language has developed, he has improved his social skills a great deal and loves interacting with just about everyone.
Tonight was a great night as Wes, Bethany and I were able to watch him perform with the rest of the 6th grade band. It's been great that he has been afforded this oppurtunity to play in the band and learn to play drums. A dream that he has had for a long time!
Thanks to a great teacher Aki Mori who presented the chance to Mr. Coates the band teacher the idea of letting Bryan be given a chance to play. Needless to say band is now Bryan's FAVORITE part of school and he loves his band teacher.
There really are no limits to those with autism. I have to keep reminding myself of that. As Bryan has grown I have realized that there are many things he may not be able to communicate or do as others but that he has great abilities to do much good. Bryan has always had a love of music and he loves to play it and sing it (even though he won't sing for Wes or myself).

I am thankful for having Bryan in our family. He is always teaching me so many things. Usually the things that are the most important.
He will be 13 on the 18th...I can't believe it! He is so excited for his birthday and to be a teenager.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

kandra said...

holy cow! He has grown so much since I last saw him! I think that is so neat that Mr Coats lets him play in the band, that's very special (and I can't believe Mr. Coats is still there lol).

Grace said...

kandra i had no idea how long Mr Coats had been at MV since none of my other kids were interested in band music. I wonder how long he has been there. He is fun to watch and you can tell he loves band :)

I hope you are all doing well. It will be great to see you around Christmas.