Sunday, May 10, 2009

Two Wonderful Mothers


I have been a Mom now for many years. I never really appreciated all my Mom did for me or my brother and sister until I had my own children. I guess I was a lot like many teenagers and often didn't see beyond myself and what I needed or wanted. Yet even as a teenager I always remember wanting to be around my Mom. I remember many adults who admired or looked up to my Mom. She was a leader in our small town and I count myself lucky and blessed that she is my Mom. Someone who I have been able to go to with simple questions and complex ones as well. Even when I told her that I wanted to change religions and become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and no longer be Catholic. ( I was 13 at the time). I remember her concern and yet her love for me. She eventually allowed me to attend and she was the first to tell me that the LDS Church was making me a better person. I trusted and valued her opinion. She has always been a great model of what a Mom should be and I am always thankful for her endless and unconditional love that she has had for all of her kids and grandkids. I count myself lucky and blessed that Mom is still on this earth. Her own Mom died at a very young age and she has missed having her Mother in her life. Mom, I love you...thank you so much for your influence in my life.

The other Mom I would like to talk about is my Mother in law. Emma Whitnah is an amazing woman. Is there anything she can't do? I don't think so. She can cook anything and make it taste delicious. She plays piano, fiddle, accordian. She loves to dance and sing. She knows how to do floral arranging as well as decorate cakes. When I first married Wes I felt overwhelmed by her. She could do just about anything and I felt so inadequate around her. Over the years I have realized that I shouldn't have worried at all. She loves all her sons and grandkids. This past nine months have been hard for her..she lost the love of her life in August of 08 and once again I saw her strength come through. I am sure she has had countless hours of hidden sorrow since then. Yet Emma keeps on doing so much for so many. I am not surprised. She is truly a great woman and I am thankful to have her as my Mother in law.

3 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

What a wonderful tribute to two of the most important women in your life. You make them proud to call you daughter!
:~D

Unknown said...

I love the tribute you pay to your mother in law and your mom. That is so cool.

The Birthday Group said...

I love that picture of you and your Mom. That is so tender. We would all be lost without our Mother's! Great post!