Friday, March 6, 2009

A Nice Surprise to Find


I found out earlier this week that a good friend of mine had their recipe in a new cookbook. Perhaps you have heard of it. It's called "The World Wide Ward Cookbook". Both my friend Lorena as well as her daughter Kelly had recipes in this book. Kelly was even written up in one of the BYU papers...pretty cool.

Lorena jogged my memory of nearly 2 years ago when a Mom on the Missionary Mom website asked for recipes that we had and wanted to know if we would consider adding them to this cookbook.

I remember sending a few recipes in but forgot about this book until this week. When Deanna had asked for the recipes from us and then told us we would receive copies of all that was sent in I thought she would send out a CD with recipes for everyone. I never imagined a nice hard bound cookbook.

I got the book a couple of days ago. It's a nice cookbook filled with recipes from many regions throughout the world. It was great to see so many names I recognized from the Missionary Mom site and some recipes that I am going to have to try. Recipes from Central and South America to regions in Europe and of course here in the good old USA. Some of the recipes were entered by missionaries and former missionaries as well.

As I was flipping the pages I came to a recipe that sounded familiar and then I realized.."that is MY recipe!" "Poor Man's Lobster". Okay, I'm not bragging but I was simply surprised. Anyways, this is a recipe that I really like and used to make a lot when I was first married. It's easy to make and tasty too.

3 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

Grace, What a great surprise! That's a great idea also. Who else is in it that I might know? Can anyone buy the cookbook?

Grace said...

It is sold at Deseret Book and Seagull Books. I loved the idea this woman had to create it.

Grace said...

I am posting this as a favor to those who help compile this cookbook:

Dear Worldwide Ward Cookbook Contributors-
Thank you again for your contributions to Worldwide Ward Cookbook! The
cookbook has been a great success thus far, and we hope it will remain a
popular item.
We have a free event coming up (as I emailed you about a few weeks ago) and
I was wondering if those of you who have blogs could help me get the word
out about it. Details are below - and I have also attached the graphic
version of the invite.
If you have time, and are willing to help us by posting the info on your
blog, that would be great. (If you don't have a blog, feel free to pass
along the invite to neighbors, friends, etc. in the Utah County area that
would like to attend.)
Thanks!
-Kelly
Kelly Smurthwaite
PR & Promotions
Covenant Communications
Phone: 801.756.1041 Ext. 151

³Confessions of a Chocoholic Cook² is a free cooking event in which
community members will be taught simple but tasty chocolate recipes from
author and cook Deanna Buxton.

The event will be held at the SCERA lobby (745 S. State St., Orem, UT) and
will begin at 7 p.m.

Some of the recipes that will be taught and demonstrated include Chocolate
Pancakes with Grandma's Syrup, Snickers Salad, ³My Most Favorite Cake² and
Fudge Cookies.

The event¹s recipes are based on the book Worldwide Ward Cookbook, which
features recipes from all over the world.

³Confessions of a Chocoholic Cook² is open to the general public, but those
who want to attend must RSVP by March 16 by emailing
covenantpromotions@gmail.com.

Participants are also encouraged to email their best chocolate/dessert
recipe ahead of time to be included in the recipe-swap table at the event.