Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring is my FAVORITE Season!



Field of crocus


Daffodils


Growing up in the small town of Bradford, Pennsylvania...I always looked forward to Spring. Bradford is known for it's cold wintry days with snow storms that can hit in mid April. Don't get me wrong. I also enjoyed the snow and the beauty of the silence that came with it but to me Spring has always been my favorite season of the year.



There is a street in my home town that had a HUGE yard. This house was once owned by a wealthy family. Each Spring their yard was filed with crocus'...dark purple, white, light purples...they were simply beautiful! You couldn't see one bit of green grass because the flowers blanketed this whole space. I regret that I never took a picture of those flowers. My Mom has told me that they no longer bloom as they used to. Flowers like people need to be tended and given proper nourishment or they won't continue to grow. These flowers always brightened my day in Spring

My most favorite flower of all however is the daffodil. This beautiful yellow flower with it's sweet smell seems to herald Spring and welcome everyone to the beginning of life once again. As a young girl I would often go to a wooded area near my home and sit and enjoy the beauty of these daffodils that had spread out and grown wild into the woods. They were so beautiful. I often felt that this was my own private garden that I could go to and think and meditate and enjoy. I always returned home with a few dozen daffodils to put in vases in my home. I placed them on our desk in the living room. On the dining room table and even on the kitchen counter.

I realize that I need a constant reminder that I need to be more thankful for all that I have been given and especially for the things that I have been given that I do not need to pay a penny for. The beauty of Spring is a good reminder to me. I need to push myself a bit more and work harder and appreciate the seasons of each year and be thankful much much more. I love Spring and it's flowering trees to it's buzzing bees to the warmth of the sun and the new life that has begun. I am thankful for it.

Here is a poem by William Wordsworth about daffodils:


I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze


Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.


The waves besides them danced, but they

Out did the sparkling leaves in glee;

A poet could not be but gay,

I in such a jocund company!

I gazed-and gazed- but little though

What wealth the show to me had brought:


For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils


I think it pretty much sums up my feelings of Spring and why I love it so very much. Happy Spring to you!


4 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

I love spring also, but it's not my favorite. Living in Oregon during the spring I always was miserable with allergies, but somehow in the East I don't have allergies anymore, so I enjoy Spring a lot more. We have a forest for a backyard and every year the daffodils come up throughout the back forest, it is so pretty. The poem was great!

Loralee and the gang... said...

What a beautiful memory!
:~D

Julie said...

I appreciate you sharing your memories and thoughts on your blog. You'll have to find a way to get this all printed out one day so you and your kids (and your grandkids--someday, right?) can enjoy reading this.

Melissa-Mc said...

I love Spring, also! There is just a happiness in the air.