Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oh my Papa; to me you are so Wonderful



This coming week my Dad will celebrate his 78th birthday. Wow...I can't believe my Dad will be that YOUNG! I love my Father so very much and feel blessed that he is MY Dad...well, I have to share him with my 2 sisters and brother...but that's okay :) I have so many good memories of my father as a child. I guess the greatest thing I can say about my Dad is that he always had time for us kids. My brother Joe played baseball each Spring and football each Autumn. I remember nearly EVERY night after dinner my Dad going outside with Joe and practicing throwing the baseball or the football. I am sure they had some great talks during this time and as I look back I realize how priceless this was for my brother to feel that Dad cared about him and Joe's love grew for Dad.
My Sisters and I also felt that Dad gave so much of himself for us. He played with us, danced through the house with us..even pulling a ballet move once..that was kick. One night as my parents were getting ready to go square dancing Dad went up to shave. My sister and I gathered around him in the bathroom, rubbed shaving cream on our faces, took the opposite end of our toothbrush and pretended to shave along with Dad. Dad would usually be singing as he shaved. Dad has a wonderful baratone voice. My Dad was greating at tucking us into bed each night. You see he didn't just kiss us or hug us...no..we had to get a kiss, a hug, a raspberry, a squeeze and sometimes a tickle. It was great! I guess my sisters and I felt like we had our Dad wrapped around our fingers. He didn't spoil us but he loved us..and for that I have always been grateful.
Growing up we didn't have a lot and there were many times when my Dad would get laid off of work and my Mom would be the only one with a job. Even then however Dad would work odd jobs anywhere he could to help support his family. He didn't want a handout and he wanted to do all he could to be a good role model to us kids about working and doing your best. I remember when my Dad finally got a good job that he was able to keep until he retired. He earned it..that's for sure!
Even now as I think of my Dad as an older man and when I see how he is around us grown up kids and his grandkids I am thankful for the love he shows and his caring for each of us. When I went to Ireland with my parents in 2003 and was able to spend that one on one time with the both of them it was fantastic. My Dad has a great sense of humor, he cares about others and he loves our Mom. I am thankful for his wonderful example to me and thankful that Heavenly Father gave my Father to me... Happy Birthday Dad!! I love you!

1 comment:

partypatt said...

Hi, this is Pat from the mm group. What a great guy your dad is! I loved reading this post! He's the same age as my mom!