Saturday, April 18, 2009

Susan Boyle: A wake up call on judging



A few days ago I saw a video clip of a woman from the UK. I am sure you have all heard of her by now. Susan Boyle. She is 47 years of age, nearly 48. For all of us who saw this woman prior to her singing perhaps we made judgements about how she looked, how she acted or how she dressed. When she began to sing "I dreamed a dream" from Les Miserables she blew me away as I am sure she blew most everyone away who heard her sing.
One of the judges who listened to her told her it was a privilege for her to be able to here Susan sing. I felt that same way. This same judge went on to say that it was a "wake up call".
Since hearing this woman sing I have thought about the times I have made a judgement or opinion of someone or something prior to knowing all I could know about someone. Susan Boyle represents a reminder to me that we should not rush to judge, but rather sit back, listen and understand. She is a wake up call to all of us in a world that has become obsessed with beauty, perfect figures, acceptance and so forth. I must admit prior to hearing this woman sing I thought "boy does that woman need to wax her eyebrows and she needs to do something with her hair"...I hadn't even got to her clothing! I wanted to simply share my feelings on this woman with the angelic voice and hope that from now on I will make a better effort each day to keep an open mind, to not judge on looks alone, to really understand the meaning of "beauty is more than skin deep". That I might look upon the hearts of those I meet and get to know them and love them.
If for some reason you have not seen Susan Boyle sing yet bet sure and check it out on youtube. She's simply amazing

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well said and I couldn't agree with you more! Doesn't she sing well--I hope she makes a CD!

Julie said...

The clip blew me away too. When I first saw it I thought it was going to be another laugh. Boy was I wrong. Now I will probably always think of her when I hear that song.

Loralee and the gang... said...

I saw that click too, and I was overwhelmed and ashamed. I even thought for a second that she may be lip-synching - that really stinks to admit, but you are so, so right about what you wrote.
:~d

The Birthday Group said...

I have watched the video several times and each time I am touched with her sweet spirit. I love what you wrote on this post. So honest and so very true.