Thursday, April 23, 2009

Special Ed. Field Day 2009











I just returned from the annual field day for special ed. kids throughout the district. I prayed that it wouldn't rain...it has been so nice but suddenly became cold last night and the skies looked abit unsure but finally the sun came out and all involved were able to enjoy field day. This year field day was held at Aloha HS..the school along with the volunteer student were AMAZING! I must say, I am bias as I have already had 3 kids graduate from Aloha with a fourth one attending there now. Seriously though, they did a great job. There were games on the field such as soccor, ball toss, crochet, bean bag toss, bowling as well as track and other events.
I don't know why but each year Bryan HATES to run the 100m! He absolutely despises it! Bryan is really fast at running and usually beats most scouts when they practice the mile. His PE teacher at school has even told us that he should take up cross country and that he would be great at running. Well...whether it's his autism and he gets overwhelmed with the crowds of people or something I just can't figure.
Bryan loved seeing his former aides, Kathleen and Michelle. We were lucky to have Kathleen be Bryan's aide in grade school for 3 years and then Michelle was his aide for 2 years. Bryan is now in a self-contained classroom setting with only 6 boys and his teacher Aki Mori. Field Day was a nice break from the norm of school. All kids, volunteers, teachers, aides and parents had a great time and we were thankful that the rain didn't let loose until everything was over!

5 comments:

Bridget said...

What a great day, Grace. I have heard about Bryan's amazing running ability. That's wonderful you didn't have rain!

Melissa-Mc said...

I'm so glad that it was a great experience for him.

Unknown said...

It sure looks like a great day! I love all the pictures!

The Birthday Group said...

That is such a great thing that the district does. Way to go Beaverton School District!

Hesses Madhouse said...

I loved being in your ward yesterday for a short while and watching Bryan pass the sacrament. What a special kid!