Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm going to be a Gramma


I am going to be a Gramma this year. Becky and Jeff are expecting a baby sometime in August. When I told Bryan this he told me "Mom, you won't be a Mom anymore, you will be a Gramma only." I don't know about you but the transition and the circle of life that comes to you when you are about to hit this milestone hasn't quite sunk in with me yet.
Me, A Gramma? It is exciting and all and yet the only wish I had is that I would live closer to this new grand baby. An 11 hour car drive will have to do but that also means I won't get to see this little tyke very often. Needless to say, I didn't receive ANY sympathy from my Mom. She reminded me that I was here in Oregon when I had her first 2 grand kids and she in Pennsylvania.
I am hoping that my daughter will be okay letting us use a web cam so that we can visit via the net and see her baby when we are not around and will be able to see the changes that this new little one will have.
I remember when I first became pregnant with my first child, Becky. I remember the fear that came over me for a while. I was never a parent, what was I going to do? What if I messed up or something? It is and was an overwhelming feeling. And yet even still with all that there was a calmness and excitement to know that we would soon have a little life in our family. I am sure that Becky and Jeff are feeling that same way right now. It is definitely life altering but one of the best gifts you can ever have.

10 comments:

Etta Feinauer said...

How exciting! Being a Grandma is such a wonderful time in life, even when you still have children at home! Distance is a problem but technology makes it so much better for us than it was for our parents!
Congratulations!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Exciting times, Grace! I'm so thrilled for you all! Hope all goes perfectly for Becky and the baby. I look forward to reading all of your updates.

Tonya said...

How exciting! You will be an awesome Gramma:0)

hopeE said...

congratulations Grace! how exciting! Although, I can't believe Becky is married and having a baby. I feel kinda old now.

Darilyn said...

That grandbaby of yours is pretty darn lucky to have a gramma like you. I can hardly wait for the event and to see it all through your eyes.

Julie said...

That's wonderful. Danielle had told me the news. Can't wait to see what gender they are having. Congrats to all!

The Birthday Group said...

Congratulations! Now I can have a "gramma" buddy. I wish I could get Brian and Mallory on board with a webcam. Mallory doesn't have one, but Brian does, but he isn't on board with the whole thing.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Congratulations! It is so fun being a grandma! Sounds like you are READY!

Unknown said...

Congrats! That is so wonderful. You will be a wonderful grandma!

BJ Barnes said...

We have the same situation, Grace, with the grandbaby living so far away! - Our daughter is a dear, and has made a point to visit with us atleast twice a year, for a few weeks, each visit!! That helps greatly!! :)
Between visits we enjoy Skype!! It keeps us caught up with little Brennan's growth and developement, and keeps him familiar with who we are! :) It's a tender mercy available for grandparents who's children and grandchildren live too far away! :)
I'm so excited for you!! ENJOY!! :)