Saturday, January 17, 2009

4 weeks in the MTC already!

Elder Whitnah is loving the MTC! Just this last week Elder Holland came again a second time and spoke to the missionaries. He thought it was fantastic! His German is coming and he is practicing using it all the time now. He no longer is allowed to read from his English scriptures..only German. He says he is beginning to better and better understand it.

He found Cameron Merritt this week and that was great! They had a great time seeing one another. It's good because Cameron leaves on Monday for Australia. Good luck Cameron!!!

With care packages from his Aunt Shelly, Grandma Whitnah and Us he is pretty well set and usually shares much of what he has. The food in the MTC is beginning to kill him though. His gut has been hurting. I think he has eaten more in the MTC in just 4 weeks than the last 3 months. He feels stuffed. I guess the MTC wants him to be nice and plump when he makes his landing in Germany :)

Sean loves attending the Temple and has had a chance to go twice since being in Provo. The Temple had been shut down for Christmas and it reopened on the 5th. I don't think he's studied and worked so hard than he has been doing these past 4 weeks. And he will be getting an extra week in the MTC. Instead of leaving on February 16th he will now head off to Frankfurt on February 23rd. I am betting he will be dying to get out of there by then!

Last night I had a long conversation with his girlfriend Haley who is attending BYU-Idaho. She also wants to serve a mission and if all goes well she will have her mission papers in by the end of August. I jokingly asked her: "what if you are called to Frankfurt?" I guess Sean and Haley have had that same discussion. She's a great girl and a great support to Sean in that she writes great letters to him .

Hopefully we will be receiving some photos soon of his MTC journies that I can add to this site.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Congratulations to Elder Whitnah and surviving four weeks of MTC food! I was there three weeks, and that was long enough! I'm glad that he's learning the language and that all is going well for him.

Grace said...

Elizabeth you didn't have to stay 8 weeks when you were there? Was it because you already spoke fluent French? And in regards to the MTC food after this much time and so many have gut problems with it you would think the MTC would revamp some of it's foods. Oh well :)

Tonya said...

That is so great! I never served a mission, but one day I really hope Matt and I will go. Matt's Dad served his mission in Germany. I am always so amazed at the gift of tongues these missionaries are blessed with.