Monday, February 2, 2009

Bryan became a Deacon


Yesterday was a special day for Bryan as he was ordained a deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood. If someone had told me ten years ago that he would at the age of 13 be a deacon I would have probably laughed at them. Bryan was diagnosed at 3 with autism and at that point in his life had no language. He had about 10 words that he had said but then stopped talking all together.


He has been through myriads of therapy, diets and more therapy and through the knowledge we have learned and thankfully to some wonderful aides at school he has progressed and grown in ways I didn't see for him. I was the one with little faith in what he could be.


Bryan is constantly teaching about the love he has for life. The love he feels towards just about everyone and everything. He finds happiness in the smallest details. He isn't afraid of much either...well bees. Bees terrify him. I am so thankful for having this sweet young boy in our lives and for his goodness and willingness to do what is right at ALL times. Literally!


I love you Bryan

6 comments:

Bridget said...

That was seriously the highlight of the entire Sacrament meeting for me. I loved that your husband was able to conduct that day and do that with him up on the stand. Did you see Bro. Chatfield? He was bawling!

Tonya said...

I remember teaching him when he was little and I also remember the first time he said my name. Wes brought him over to me so he could say it. That was a special moment for me and I won't forhet it. I am so amazed at all the effort you put in to figure out the best things for him. It all paid off.

Grace said...

Bridget, I didn't see Brother Chatfield crying but I am not surprised. He and Bryan are like kindred spirits. He has been such a great person for Bryan. I was glad too that Wes was the one that could call him up to the stand.

Melissa-Mc said...

Congrats to Brian! That is so wonderful he was able to get this priesthood. I wish I could have been there.

Julie said...

Its amazing what our children teach us. It can be quite humbling. That's wonderful news! Way to go Bryan!

Darilyn said...

I'm finally here! I will add you to my google reader so I get all your updates. I am so happy for Brian. He is such a great young man and I know that he understands this important step in his life.