Monday, June 1, 2009

Bryan's First Temple Trip


Saturday marked another first for Bryan. His first trip to the Temple to participate in Temple Work. Wes and I spent time explaining to Bryan the best we could what would take place at the Temple and what he was doing. At first Bryan wasn't so sure he wanted to go but after being reminded that his brothers and sisters love to attend the Temple and how they go each month, Bryan decided he would go too. With his autism sometimes you wonder how much he is grasping or understanding and yet I have come to conclude that he probably knows SO much more than I could even begin to know.
This was a special trip in that only members of the Aaronic Priesthood(boys ages 12-18) and the Young Men leaders were there. It was a smaller group than usual but even still it worked out just right. Bryan told me many times how much he loved the Temple and that he had a good time there. I am so glad.
Of course I am sure it helped that Wes took him to McDonalds afterwards for a pancake breakfast :)
When Bryan was little one of his most favorite Primary songs was "I love to see the Temple". He was about 4 or 5 then and he would sing it all the time in the car as we drove from therapy to special ed. kindergarten to other speech and other events. I reminded him on Saturday and sang a part of the song to him...he smiled.
Now that Bryan has had his first feel for the Temple I have a feeling he will want to attend each month with the Young Men and the Young Women. I am thankful for this young man in our life. He wants to always do everything just right. It's been nearly 4 months since he was ordained and made a deacon. Each week he loves to pass the Sacrament and takes this calling very seriously. Monthly he goes out with Wes and collects Fast Offerings. These are important things to him and he reminds me by his actions that he is truly striving each day to do what is right. A reminder to me to step it up and strive to work harder and do better. Children have a way of doing that for us. I believe that is why Heavenly Father wants us to be in families so that we can learn from one another. I hope to "step" it up some as well and strive harder to attend the Temple more often and work a bit harder each day too. Thank you Bryan for your sweet spirit.

5 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

Grace, That is so excellent that he has these opporunities available to him and that you and Wes and patient, loving parents who want him to experience everything everyone else does. I'm so happy that he went and had a good experience.

Melissa-Mc said...

I just love Bryan. The temple is a perfect place for him to be.

Mandy said...

What a wonderful experience for him. I'm sure he had a great time! I really miss being in your ward and chatting with you.

Scott-n-Allison said...

I'm so glad that he was able to go...what a great experience for him. Last week our ward had a youth temple trip...for three of the youth it was their first time (two new converts and a 12 year old). Everyone remarked how special the spirit is when you have first time participants.

My friend doing the pics used to live in our ward...her family is coming to visit from California. The picture on my side bar of my family is from Yuen Lui...near Beaverton Town Square.

Tonya said...

I remember teaching Bryan when he was so little! I'm so glad his first timne at the temple was such a great experience.