Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Elder Sean Whitnah


Sean has been on his mission now for a total of 6 months. Usually when you are the Mom or Dad of a missionary you feel like the time goes SO SLOW but for some reason it seems like the past months have shot by quickly. I have asked Sean to send some pictures just because I want to see how he looks or how he is doing. Finally he sent some. Boy...Germany sure is beautiful. The Frankfurt Mission areas are definitely different looking than the areas that Becky served in while in Berlin(the former East Germany). Sean and his companion have taught a lot of people but often times these people don't want to be bothered or visited again. That is frustrating to Sean and any other missionary that is trying to teach. He is loving his mission and nearly every email he speaks of the food that he tries. I wonder if he'll come home a few pounds heavier?? If he did it wouldn't hurt him a bit. He left here weighing in at only 120 lbs. One of the foods he loves to eat are these things called donars...they are actually a Turkish dish but with so many Turks in Germany the Germans love them too.
From the angle Sean is holding it the donor doesn't appear quite that big...but take a look at how big it is as his companion shows it...I know I couldn't eat all of that!
A few weeks ago Sean and his companion took a hike on the outskirts of Dusseldorf. Dusseldorf it a HUGE city...nearly 600,000 people. Sean had hoped to serve in smaller areas and so far has been in fairly big areas. I know he enjoyed his hike into the country and wooded areas. This picture in the woods blew me away...it is so beautiful there. Here are a couple more photos that he recently sent. Germany reminds me a lot of Pennsylvania, where I grew up. I can see why so many Germans made Pennsylvania there home when they moved to the United States. The climate and all are very similar. This photo of Sean on their hike...i bet it was a great day. The weather looked perfect for it and even though the picture is a bit grainy it is good to see that Sean is loving it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous there. My son has talked about donars too, but I had never seen any pictures of them until now. They look delicious!

The Birthday Group said...

What great pictures! I cannot imagine eating that whole donar thing. That is so huge!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I think the time has gone quickly for me, too. I think it has a lot to do with the state of our country and the dread and concern I feel when I think about him starting his "real" life when he gets back. I hope things are improving by next February!
:~D

Grace said...

Cami, I think there must be different size donars too..I remember a photo of our daughter eating one in Berlin and it was more the size of a hamburger...still filled really deep though

Julie said...

AMAZING pictures! I don't think I could get through 10 bites of the donar! Its huge.