Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summertime...I love it


The first week of Summer is here and it feels good. The hurried rush of school, trying to study for tests, getting homework finished, making sure to get enough sleep and all that goes with school disappears in the wonder of Summer. There is something about Summer that draws me back in time to when I was a kid. The Alice Cooper song "Schools out for Summer" is still one of my favorite songs to hear this time of year. I think my kids are suprised that I KNOW that song.
Growing up in Pennsylvania, my sisters and I along with neighbors and cousins and friends kept ourselves pretty busy. And IF we weren't busy enough my Mom and Dad made sure to keep us busy with odd jobs and anything that would keep us out of trouble. We had great summer days..from baseball games,playing tag, catching lighting bugs to working and enjoying the hot summer days. Growing up in a small town like Bradford was great.
Bethany will be busy this summer trying to finish up her YW's Personal Progress, attending Stake Girl's Camp as a 5th year,going to EFY in late July and trying to find a job this summer. She is going to be 16 on July 1st...I can't believe it. She can hardly wait to date! Bethany and her BFF Alina have already planned dates with boys they want to go out with and places they want to go for dates..they are thinking ahead. It's kind of scary to think that Bethany is old enough to date!! Bryan will be taking swimming lessons at the Beaverton swim center. They specialize in working with kids and teens with special needs. He will have 4 weeks of one on one swim instruction. Bryan will also attend his first Scout Camp for a whole week in the first of July. Wes is going with him for the whole week. Bryan and Wes are both looking forward to this. It will be at Camp Meriwether near the beach. Bryan is most excited about our trip to Pennsylvania this year and our trip to Hershey Park.

I must admit, I am too. I haven't been home to PA to visit my family in nearly 4 years so it will be nice to see family and friends as well as see old friends from school...I am attending my class reunion. It will be great to see some of the people I went to school with...some that I haven't seen since I graduated.
For now, this first couple days everyone seems to be taking a break, having a good laugh and looking forard to the summer ahead.

5 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

I'm so jealous...I want to go to Hershey Park :(

I love the new look of your blog.

Melissa-Mc said...

I LOVE summer too. I hope you are a great one.

Unknown said...

You described summer so well! I love it too! I hope you have a great trip this summer; it sounds like fun!

Bridget said...

I love Hershey Park. I grew up in NJ and I remember going there a few times. So fun. How great for you you can go see your family.

Julie said...

I wish we got out as late as Portland. I feel like we've been through half our summer already. . . and then we have to start so early in August. Its horrible. Can't wait to hear about Penn. We went to Hershey Park years ago when we spent the summer in D.C.